If you’re into your top-down arcade racers, Super Pixel Racers looks like it could well be worth a go when it launches on Switch later this week.
With 2D pixel graphics and a 16-bit soundtrack sure to have you reminiscing over the good old days, Super Pixel Racers has players taking on a range of different race styles. You can use any winnings you make to buy new cars with their own individual driving qualities and upgrade schemes. The aim here is to try out different cars and find the style which suits your playing style the best.
Here’s a look at the race styles you can expect to enjoy, as well as some other handy features:
- Rally Cross: Classic race against up to 7 other drivers
- Rally: Reach checkpoints on a procedurally generated outdoor track
- Land Rush: Be in front of the pack when the time ends
- Takedown: Destroy the other cars
- Hunt: Chase the target down
- Drift Show: Score points by drifting
- Thirteen Unique Racetracks: From desert dunes to the city streets. A host of unique pixel environments set the stage for some truly super pixel racing.
- Hone your drifting, score some Nitro: The more you drift, the quicker your nitro gauge fills up. Use it for an instant hit of speed; equally useful for dodging obstacles or slamming into opponents.
- Vehicle Damage & Explosion Mechanics: In-race collisions result in visible damage to your pixel racer. Once a car takes too many hits, it goes up in flames!
The game is set to launch on Switch this Thursday, 16th April. You can pick it up for $14.99 / £11.69, although a 10% discount is available if you grab it from the eShop before launch.
Like the look of this one? Think you’ll take it for a spin? Tell us below.